Search This Blog

28 December 2011

Southeast US: Day 1


And here we start our travel in the southeastern USA. There is one thing I must say, I don’t want anyone to be bothered because of it, it is just my opinion, as always: I would recommend travelling to other places in the US first, to see how varied the country is.

This first day, as you know, will be spent flying there. In my case I was flying to Philadelphia and from there to Charlotte

A piece of advice: make sure you have at least 2 or 3 hours –I would go for 3- between the 2 flights.
Why?

1)      Customs and immigration: this does not take long in itself, but the queue could be long. I don’t know if I have not been lucky but counting all the times I have flown to the US I have waited an average of 30 to 45 minutes in the queue.

2)      You need to wait for your luggage at the baggage claim belt to pick it up- though usually it will already be there after the time you have spent in Immigration- and check it in again to your final destination –amd there is a chance that you might be selected for baggage inspection if they notice something suspicious, I was once inspected as in the scanner they saw what they thought could be chorizo and finally turned out to be a couple of sandals !!!??? yes I know, but it actually happened to me). Also, you have to take into account that the borading time for your next flight is about 30 minutes before the actual flight time.

3) And of course, you always have the possibility of having your first flight delayed.


Pick up the car you have rented at the airport and for your first night, do not hesitate, go for a good, nice –if possible- and cheap hotel -motel, most probably, near the airport and if possible already in the direction of the Great Smoky Mountains. The only thing you will be doing is sleeping, because you will be exhausted and surely you will wake up quite early because of the fuc… jet lag, so you can also be on your way early.

Remember here you have the whole itinerary.
Soon the second day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment